We need short-term insurance cover all year round – but especially during the holidays. Don’t be caught short by not having sufficient cover while you are away having the time of your life.

Perhaps the most fitting way to take care of your home is to have someone look after your bricks and mortar, but if you are unable to get someone to live in your home, ensure that there is someone to take your post inside so it doesn’t pile up while you are away, switch the lights on and close and open the curtains.

Home contents cover is one way to ensure the contents inside your home is covered against theft, although the elements can also play a role.

Your antenna could be struck by lightning and render your TV worthless; alternatively the refrigerator could stop working and whatever is left behind can go off, particularly during the hot summer period.

Whether your home is flooded, is subjected to hail damage where windows are broken and need replacement or if your geyser bursts and ruins the interior of your home – home cover during the holidays makes this type of insurance absolutely essential.

Did you know that there is specific bicycle insurance that you need for your bike – and if you are taking it away with you on holiday it might be smart to check with your insurance service provider whether your bike is covered when away from home. This cover will usually fall under the specifications sections of your schedule.

The same might apply to your expensive camera, cell phones, laptop computers and anything else that is not covered under the all-risks cover, yet needs to be specified – simply check with your insurance broker what is and what is not covered when it comes to home cover during the holidays.